Two new TMS320C550x low power DSPs from Texas Instruments
With sophisticated portable devices becoming more prevalent, designers are required to choose more power efficient solutions that offer extended battery life. To meet the power levels needed for these designs, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) announced the availability of the TMS320VC5505 and TMS320VC5504 digital signal processors (DSPs), which offer the best combination of standby and active power, up to 320 KB of on-chip memory and multiple integrated peripherals that reduce system cost by more than 20 percent. With standby power of less than 340uW and active power of less than 0.3mW/MHz, these DSPs allow up to 40 percent additional battery life.
The C5505 DSP, running at 100 MHz, offers the right combination of performance, standby and active power levels for end equipments such as noise-cancellation headphones, musical instruments, medical monitoring, biometrics and seismic detectors. For end equipments such as portable voice recorders, MP3 players and other emerging portable applications that do not require as much on-chip memory, an integrated display controller or FFT hardware acceleration, the C5504 DSP provides an even lower cost solution. The lower cost C5504 is pin-to-pin and software compatible with the C5505 device and offers the same power efficiency and performance with a reduced peripheral set.
To help customers get started quickly, TI is also announcing the C5505 DSP EVM that can be used with both the C5505 and C5504 processors and comes ready with application demos and code. For more information, visit: (www.ti.com/c550xpr).
C5504 DSP key features and benefits:
- Highly-integrated peripherals - including a high-speed USB 2.0, I2S, UART, SPI, MMC/SD and GPIOs - reduce system cost and enable more user-friendly portable features
- Up to 256 KB of on-chip memory saves both power and system cost by reducing the need for external memory
C5505 DSP key features and benefits:
- C5505 builds on C5504 with an additional 64kB on-chip memory (320KB total)
- Up to 1024-point programmable FFT hardware accelerator
- Integrated LCD display controller and 10-bit 4-channel SAR ADC – reduce system cost and enable more user-interactive portable features
- Scalable and pin-to-pin compatible with C5504 allowing for the ability to design an entire product portfolio using the same hardware and software platform
Pricing, availability and tools
The TMS320VC5505 is available for sampling and is priced at USD $6.75 in quantities of 1,000 units (1ku). The TMS320VC5504 DSP is available for sampling and is priced at USD $5.60 in quantities of 1,000 units. To jumpstart development, developers can use the C5505 DSP EVM, which is available today and priced at USD $395.00 and includes Code Composer Studio IDE Rev. 3.3. The C5505 and C5504 are the latest devices in TI's existing portfolio of approximately 34 parts. To continue it's commitment to the market, TI is planning additional silicon, development resources, demo platforms and software libraries for customers looking for more application specific solutions.