Texas Instruments introduces industry's smallest integrated load switch
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) introduced a new family of integrated load switches with controlled turn-on and quick output discharge to simplify subsystem load management. The TPS229xx family comes in an ultra-small 0.8 mm x 0.8 mm wafer chip scale package (WCSP) that is ten times smaller than a conventional discrete solution and supports space-constrained applications, such as portable media players, cell phones and portable navigation systems. For product details and to order samples see: www.ti.com/tps22901-pr.
The TPS229xx family has the lowest ON resistance to minimize dropout through the switch compared to competing solutions. In addition, the new TI devices have a low operating voltage range from 0.9 V to 3.6 V, which enables a variety of portable applications where low-voltage specifications are becoming more popular.
- Up to 2-A maximum continuous switch current
- Ultra-low ON resistance
- Low quiescent current: 82 nA at 1.8 V
- Low shutdown current: 44 nA at 1.8 V
- Ultra-small WCSP package (as small as 0.64 mm2)
- Integrated slew-rate control and quick output discharge options
- 2-A maximum current ensures applicability for a wide range of subsystems
- Lowest ON resistance allows minimum dropout through the pass switch
- Low quiescent and shutdown currents extend battery life in all modes
- Small package saves board space (up to 10 times smaller than conventional discrete solutions)
- Integrated features further reduce external component count and complexity, while providing protection
Availability and pricing
The TPS229xx family is available now in volume production in a WCSP package. The TPS22901 and TPS22902 have 78 milliohm ON resistance in a four-terminal package (0.8 mm x 0.8 mm) and are priced at $0.32. The TPS22903 has 66 milliohm ON resistance in a four-terminal package (0.8 mm x 0.8 mm) and is priced at $0.32. The TPS22906 has 90 milliohm ON resistance in a four-terminal package (0.9 mm x 0.9 mm) and is priced at $0.32. The TPS22921 and TPS22922 have 14 milliohm ON resistance in a six-terminal package (1.2 mm x 0.8 mm) and are priced at $0.42. All suggested resale pricing is in quantities of 1,000 units.