Seagate rolls out Barracuda LP - New Low-Power desktop HDD
Seagate Technology announced a power-thrifty desktop hard drive family, the Barracuda LP, that combines the largest storage capacity available with the best power efficiency and performance in its class, using as much as 50 percent less electricity than standard desktop hard drives.
The new line of Seagate Barracuda LP (Low Power) hard drives deliver on the promise of sustainability, energy efficiency and a more eco-friendly footprint by helping organizations cut PC power costs and giving money-minded consumers great performance for their energy dollar. The new family of energy-efficient Seagate desktop drives helps reduce system power costs, runs quieter than traditional drives and operates at lower temperatures, extending the life of system components.
"Growing demand for power-efficient computing systems is not just a data center phenomenon as more builders of external storage devices, desktop PCs and home networking systems work to provide customers with products that combine power-efficiency with rock-solid performance," said Joan Motsinger, Seagate vice president of Personal Systems Marketing and Strategy. "Seagate is pleased to deliver a new low-power product line in our Barracuda family that enables system builders and end users alike to attain a higher level of environmental friendliness while cutting costs."
Key Features and Benefits
- Super-low power consumption in every power mode
- Cool drives provide long-lasting benefits to the PC or external drive, reducing some component and maintenance costs.
- Meets and exceeds eco-green customers requirements
- Delivers power savings
- Built to exacting Seagate green standards
- Complies with RoHS directive
- Typically 70 percent or more of the materials used to build the drive can be recycled.
- Designed, built and delivered using best-in-class, environmentally friendly processes
- Solid performance from the world leader in desktop hard drives
The Seagate Barracuda LP hard drive, a 3.5" 5900RPM drive, is available in capacities of 2TB, 1.5TB and 1TB. The new hard drive family helps reduce product costs for makers of low-power personal computers, external PC storage and multiple-drive home networking SOHO systems by allowing them to use lighter-duty fans, power supplies and other system components. Unfortunately, Seagate hasn't released any details regarding the pricing of its new drives.