Zenwalk Live 6.0 Released
Pierrick Le Brun announced the immediate availability of the Zenwalk Linux 6.0 Live CD Edition. Based on Zenwalk current repository, Zenwalk live 6.0 is, as it should be, an almost perfect clone of the latest Zenwalk 6.0 with the addition of the latest security patches & bug fixes. Zenwalk Live 6.0 uses the version 6.2.9 of the Linux Live scripts & its kernel 22.214.171.124 is patched with Aufs2-20090327, Squashfs3.4, Lzma457 along with Sqlzma3.4-457.
"Our native utilities LiloFix & LiveClone have been entirely rewritten with Glade/Python and new functionalities have been added to LiveClone, which will now enable you not only to generate your own customized LiveCD, but also your own customized – or standard Zenwalk – Live USB key, with – or without – persistent changes. This will come in very handy for those of you who must use diversified computer access & wish to retain the same environment – along with your own work projects – in any of the computers you happen to use without having to install anything. Simply boot on your own customized Zenwalk Live USB key from anywhere & from any machine & you will be... at home!" - said Pierrick Le Brun in the official release announcement.
Zenwalk Live 6.0, just like its counterpart Zenwalk 6.0, includes a lightweight and optimized version of OpenOffice.org 3.0.1, replacing Abiword and Gnumeric. Included OpenOffice.org modules are Writer, Calc, Impress and Draw. DVD-video creation capabilities have been added to Brasero & Totem comes with youtube, jamendo and BBC plugins enabled by default.
Some other significant changes in this release:
- Faster boot (tuned init scripts, with realtime I/O scheduler)
- New Control Panel with integrated Disk Manager, Wifi and Wired Network Manager
- Gksu keyring based desktop granting system
- PAM authentication has been added to the system
- New Netpkg with orphan dependencies and "offline operation" support
- The powerful Exaile music jukebox has been added
- Gthumb has replaced Gqview and Gtkam for viewing images and importing them from your camera
- The Lightning PIM extension for Icedove is installed by default
- New artwork
Zenwalk Live 6.0 comes with a complete programming environment and libraries to provide an ideal platform for application programmers, all included in a "single LiveCD" iso.