Fedora 11 released
The Fedora Project team announced, the release of Fedora 11, also known as Leonidas. The multitude of new features and improvements in this new version made the waiting time seem even longer, especially for dedicated fans. Well, at least the buzz from Ubuntu and Mandriva is slowly fading away, so Linux users can concentrate better on Fedora 11.
Coming on a single Live CD, Fedora 11 can be downloaded either with the GNOME desktop environment or the KDE one. Moreover, spins are available for the Xfce lightweight alternative and other specific purposes such as education or lab work.
Some features of the Fedora 11
- 20 Second Startup - Make Fedora boot and shut down faster.
- Anaconda Storage Rewrite - New storage code to use udev for detection of block devices and rewritten modules for management of partitions (pyparted), LVM, Software RAID, and block device encryption (pycryptsetup).
- Archer - Archer is a gdb development branch focusing on better C++ support. It also includes Python scripting capabilities.
- Automatic Fonts & Mime Installer - Allows programs on the desktop to automatically install applications, fonts, multimedia codecs and clipart.
- Cups PolicyKit Integration - Use PolicyKit to define policies for accessing the cups functionality.
- Eclipse Profiling Tools - Add the power of various native profiling tools into the Eclipse IDE and integrate with the rest of the development environment. Specifically add Linux Tools, OProfile, and Valgrind integration.
- ext4 Default file system - Make ext4 the default files system for anaconda-driven installs (replacing ext3).
- DNS Security - DNSSEC (DNS SECurity) is mechanism which can prove integrity and authenticity of DNS data.
- Firefox 3.5 - Upgrade Firefox to the latest release in the Mozilla 1.9.1 series (Firefox 3.5).
- gcc 4.4 - Switch GCC in Fedora 11 to 4.4.x Rebuild all packages with gcc 4.4.x
- Gnome 2.26 - Update to Gnome 2.26 to ensure that Fedora stays in sync with the upstream version of the Gnome desktop.
- KDE4.2 - Rebase to KDE 4.2 and offer new features such as PolicyKit-KDE, NetworkManager plasma applet etc.
- Thunderbird 3 - Upgrade Thunderbird to the latest release in the Mozilla 1.9.1 series which is Thunderbird 3
- TigerVNC - Make TigerVNC the default VNC client in Fedora.
- Virt VNC Authentication - A mapping of SASL authentication into the VNC protocol for QEMU and GTK-VNC
- Windows Cross-compiler - Build and test full-featured Windows programs, from the comfort of the Fedora system, without needing to use Windows.
- Xfce4.6 - Update Xfce to the upstream 4.6 release with many new improvements and features.
- Xserver 1.6 - Update the X server in to 1.6
- Presto - The presto plugin for yum adds support for downloading deltarpms and using them to generate new packages.
- rpm 4.7 - Update RPM to 4.7 in Fedora 11 to benefit from performance enhancements
- Stronger Hashes - Support hashes stronger than MD5 and SHA-1
- SVirt Mandatory Access Control - sVirt integrates SELinux with the Fedora virtualization stack to allow Mandatory Access Control (MAC) security be applied to guest virtual machines
- VolumeControl - The multimedia experience of Fedora users is improved by an easily understandable and much more flexible volume control model.
- Radeon3DUpdate - Update the radeon r100/r200 3D drivers to work with kernel modesetting and DRI2
- NetBeans 6.5 - NetBeans IDE 6.5 is a significant update of NetBeans IDE 6.1 which ensures that the latest version is available to developers.