BlackBerry App World by RIM
Research In Motion launches BlackBerry App World, a new on-device application store for BlackBerry smartphones. At launch, BlackBerry App World brings together a broad mix of personal and business applications for users to discover.
BlackBerry App World is immediately available to BlackBerry smartphone users in the United States, United Kingdom and Canada, with more country launches to follow. Users in these countries can download the BlackBerry App World application to their BlackBerry smartphone by visiting www.blackberry.com/appworld from their handset.
BlackBerry App World is designed to automatically present the relevant catalog of applications available for a user's specific BlackBerry smartphone model. Users can conveniently access BlackBerry App World over both Wi-Fi and cellular networks.
Mike Lazaridis, President and Co-CEO at Research In Motion, will highlight BlackBerry App World in his keynote this morning at CTIA 2009 in Las Vegas.
BlackBerry App World features currently include:
- Front Page Carousel - BlackBerry App World showcases several applications on its front page carousel, making it easy for users to browse through a select number of featured applications. Featured applications will vary from week to week, helping users discover new applications for practically every aspect of life.
- Top Downloads - The "Top Downloads" area on BlackBerry App World lists applications that are the most downloaded.
- Categories - BlackBerry App World will feature a variety of application categories. Current categories include:
- Maps and Navigation
- News and Weather
- Personal Finance and Banking
- Personal Health and Wellness
- Productivity and Utilities
- Professional and Business
- Reference and eBooks
- Social Networking and
- Sports and Recreation
- Search - BlackBerry App World includes a keyword search capability.
- Reviews - Applications on BlackBerry App World can be reviewed by users and those reviews are reflected in star ratings. Users can easily access and read reviews from other users, see screenshots and read a description of each application before they download it.
- Recommend - BlackBerry App World users can recommend applications to other people through email, PIN, SMS message or BlackBerry(R: 28.37, 0, 0%) Messenger.
- Application Storage - BlackBerry App World includes a folder called My World, which can keep track of applications the user has downloaded. It is a personal storage space that allows users to uninstall and reinstall applications and to easily transfer purchased applications to a new BlackBerry smartphone.
BlackBerry App World supports both free and for-purchase applications. BlackBerry App World is available for BlackBerry smartphones with a trackball or touch-screen running BlackBerry device software 4.2 or higher.